Are you dynamic, innovative and interested to volunteering in communications work? We have an opportunity for you.
The National Organisation for Women in Sport Physical Activity and Recreation (NOWSPAR) is a Zambian Non-Governmental Organisation based in Zambia working to advance the rights of girls and women in and through sport. NOWSPAR’s work includes advocacy, policy engagement, and research and sport development in both urban and rural areas.
Scope of Work:
The Communications Officer supports the work of the NOWSPAR team to raise visibility of the organization and its core programs. Working in collaboration with advocacy and research and sport development staff, she/he supports the dissemination of print and electronic materials, contributes to social media initiatives, assists with media outreach and helps to organize events to further the program and advocacy goals of the organization.
Position Location: Lusaka, Zambia
Position Duration: On-Going (Minimum 3 months)
Essential Job Functions:
- Help manage NOWSPAR’s website, including writing and updating content, selecting photographs and liaising with website designer.
- Support NOWSPAR’s social media presence on blogs, Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, Pinterest and other networks.
- Help draft and produce e-blasts and monthly email newsletters to inform subscribers of NOWSPAR activities and support fundraising and advocacy efforts.
- Manage logistics for events that promote NOWSPAR programs and fundraising initiatives.
- Schedule regular internal meetings to enhance internal communication and to identify needs and opportunities for collaboration.
- Distribute materials to listserves.
- Identify outlets for placement of print and electronic materials.
- Help draft media materials, including pitches, press releases, media advisories and fact sheets.
- Research media contacts and potential opportunities for specific program areas.
- Maintain lists required to ensure effective outreach.
- Other tasks and projects as assigned by supervisor.
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism, public relations or international affairs.
- Fluency in English
- One to three years previous work experience, preferably at a nonprofit organization, with proven writing, editing and design skills and ability to produce a variety of official materials.
- Excellent computer skills: knowledge of Joomla, Photoshop, Excel is desirable.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills: the ability to successfully interact with a variety of people in writing, in person and via telephone.
- Solid organizational skills: the ability to work proactively and to multi-task in a fast-paced, demanding environment.
- Flexible work attitude: the ability to work productively and independently in a multicultural team environment.
- A strong interest and commitment to human rights issues.
To apply, submit résumé and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org