The Southern African Women and Sport Consultative Meeting will be held on 28th – 29th April 2011 at the Intercontinental Hotel in Lusaka, Zambia under the theme “Violence Against Women in Sport: Stepping Up to the Challenge”
The meeting is being organized under the auspices of the Ministry of Sport, Youth and Child Development of Zambia , The National Sports Council of Zambia and the National Organization for Women in Sport Physical Activity and Recreation (NOWSPAR) with the support of the Norwegian Olympic and Paralympics Committees and Confederation of Sport (NIF).
The First Lady, Ms Thandiwe Banda, will act as Patron of the event while Professor Kari Fasting will be the Key speaker. Professor Fasting is President of WomenSport International and expert consultant on Sexual harassment and abuse for the International Olympic Committee and UNICEF.
The conference is a landmark event which will raise the profile of women and sport issues, demonstrate commitment to effecting positive steps in addressing violence against women in sport and highlight the strategies and opportunities for action in this area.
The Meeting will provide an opportunity to:
- facilitate the exchange of knowledge and good practices in promoting opportunities for addressing violence against women in sport;
- garner support and endorsement for Guidelines on addressing violence against women in sport;
- support strategizing and sharing on advocacy and policy engagement on women in sport issues;
- contribute to the dissemination of research and knowledge on women and sport in the region;
- facilitate sharing of outcomes of the World Conference on Women and Sport held in Sydney in May 2010;
It is expected that about 40 delegates will be part of this land mark Meeting, featuring top decision makers, leading government representatives, academics and researchers in the women’s sport movement: representatives of Women’s Committees of National Olympic Committees, National Sports Councils and Commissions and Sport for Development organizations in the region.
Representatives of Women Commissions of Sports Councils and Olympic Committees in the following countries are invited: Angola, Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Mozambique, Namibia, Swaziland, South Africa, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
Delegates are expected to meet own transport costs, however, we will provide shared accommodation and meals during the period of the Meeting.
Participation Confirmation Deadline: 15th April 2011
Kindly contact: email@example.com for details and expression of interest in participation.